Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Contribute your best BIT : My Experience for Team SCIT-SSR !!



Wow! It's good to hear that you are working in an IT MNC. And I am more elated that you are scaling new heights in your work life. Another good part is that your company has a fund allocation for CSR and you always wish to participate in CSR's group activities. But, you miss on each and every other weekend because either you are busy in office or relaxing on a much awaited weekend.

Above is the scenario faced by most of the individuals who wish to participate in CSR activities but struggle to step out of their routines. It is really commendable that you are a part of your CSR group in your company, but if not then don't feel bad. I belonged to the latter case but fortunately was part of a like-minded people group – 'Only Human'. This group is not any kind of registered group in the company .It's prime motive is – To spread religion of smiles. Though, i am now quite far away from my group (‘Only Human’ is in Mumbai), I still cherish the vivid memories I had with ‘Only Human’.

Our group is closely associated with two social orphanages – ‘Maa Niketan’ (for girls) and ‘Aasraa’ (for boys). During my course of stay in Mumbai, I can never forget the monthly birthday celebrations (at ‘Maa Niketan’), smiling faces of kids, their innocence, cheering sound during some indoor games, etc. Our team used to arrive early and prepare for the celebrations. Hide-and-seek with girls peeping in from the auditorium windows, smiling with pressed lips used to give me and the team a heart-warming welcome. Most of the times there used to be around 10-15 ‘birthday’ girls.

Inviting them on stage in auditorium, helping them wearing hats and cutting pastries with them made me feel that one sees a hand of Almighty in a self-less deed.

Although we used to play a lot of games apart from asking kids to participate voluntarily in singing, dancing,etc. I still remember one game during one of my early visits at Maa Niketan.

It was like every kid was to give a chit (written ‘My Favorite’ on it) to any of the ‘Only Human’ team members at the end of the birthday event. We interacted and played a lot with the kids. I still feel very proud that I got around 3-4 chits. I loved that moment which made me felt really special.

Thanks to Maa Niketan and thanks to the person behind ‘Only Human’ – Mr. Manish Bajaj.

Although, I visited 'Aasraa' just once, but I was in touch with all the events which took place there.

On my visit, after spending time with the kids at the orphanage, we went out and played cricket with them. It goes without saying for me that I could see future Indian cricketers in them !!

It's being said that one could have a glimpse of Almighty in a child's smile and yes, I witnessed it a number of times during my visits at both the places.

So friends, even if you are not associated with a well-renowned NGO or any social organization in your company, I would say it doesn't matter. Do Your Bit. Look Around. Form your own group and make a difference in the lives of others. A feeling which one gets after doing any kind of self-less service is something positively ineffable. I take it as an offering to Almighty. Rest assured, doing your bit will make you happier and a much better person.


Devesh K Mathur
SCIT 2011-13

2 comments:

  1. Good to read your experience :) keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and glad to see my pic here :P

    ReplyDelete